Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chipotle, Lime Chicken Breasts with Lime and Cilantro Quinoa Pilaf


Chipotle, Lime Chicken Breasts with Lime and Cilantro Quinoa Pilaf

Canned Chipotle peppers are under utilized as far as I'm concerned...I ADORE canned Chipotle peppers.  When I buy a can of them I usually add limes, and cilantro to the shopping cart.  I may not know exactly what I'm going to make but these three ingredients are inexpensive, they go really well together,  and they can dress up sea food, poultry, or beef.  Any route that I go, I know I'll have a winner!  Honestly, when you have such a huge flavor like Chipotle, you can skimp on fat because of the flavor AND moisture in the sauce! The burnt chicken is the marinade, which is adhered onto the breast which = flavor!!
So, when I crack open the can I immediately puree the entire thing.  That way when I need a Chipotle kick... I've got it!  Like for my Chipotle Burgers!  I used only a few Tablespoons for that recipe and I have most of a can to use up. I have used my pureed Chipotle's in many recipes... such as Beef or Chicken Fajita's, Fish/ Shrimp Tacos,  Black- Bean Burgers, Stuffed Peppers, etc... I will post as I make them.  I can honestly say, that I am excited to make them, so I can post them, with descriptive pictures!

The Quinoa Pilaf is an entirely different strain of recipes to come!  I must say, though, that this Quinoa Recipe is not the same as most Quinoa lovers are used to.  It's al- dente and fluffy, not mushy,and liquidy.  Not to say that traditional Quinoa cooking methods are bad, but this is just... well different.  Some people may not like it, because it is a bit al -dente, more like Bulgur Wheat.  I, for one, love it!  I have many idea's for this method of cooking.  So, again, those are to come!

This brings me to the subject of utilizing ingredients to their fullest potential:  Cilantro, for one... most people use only the leaves, and toss away the stem... the stems lend a powerful punch of flavor, especially in soups and marinades!  And in my opinion an un-zested piece of citrus, has been mistreated and wasted!  In any recipe of mine you always find that I include the zest of citrus, as well as the stem of many veggies and herbs.  Sometimes even the flower of the plant! For now, though, I have utilized the remainder of my pureed Chipotle's in an easy peasy Grilled Chicken Recipe.  I'll post more of these recipes as I make them!

Chiplotle Marinade:

2 limes (zested and juiced) = to 1/2 c.juice
3/4 c. olive oil
5 Cilantro Stems ( whole, stems and all)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Truvia/ 2 T. Honey
4 T. Pureed Chipotle Peppers

For the Chipotle Marinade: 
Combine all ingredients in a food processor.  When I say Cilantro, I mean ALL of it!  Stems and leaves! I used Truvia, only because I was out of Honey, and Agave Nectar, and I wanted to avoid sugar... My first choice would be Agave nectar, though. Mind the sweetness level of Tuvia, though.  1/2 tsp. Truvia

  This makes enough for four chicken breasts.  I let them marinate for about three hours.  Josh grilled them on the charcoal grill, which is always our main cooking method. However, they can be grilled on gas, or even sauteed, or broiled.  Chicken is tricky to get done just right. So to avoid any head-aches, ( or stomach- aches) No matter which method of cooking you choose, rely on an inserted thermometer.  It should read 165 degrees when inserted into the center. 

Cilantro Lime Quinoa

1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Coriander Seed (ground)
1 1/2 c. Quinoa ( rinsed, and drained thoroughly)
1 1/4 Chicken Broth
2 Green onions, chopped
1 lime, zested and juiced ( separated)
3/4 c. Cilantro (chopped)


For the Cilantro Lime Quinoa:

Saute the onion, and garlic for a minute.  Add the Cumin, Ground Coriander Seed, and Quinoa.  Stir and toast for about ten minutes, or until the Quinoa is slightly browned, and frangrant... it will smell nutty!  Add the broth and Green onions and lime zest,and the juice of 1/2 the lime,  stir, and cover.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.  Let simmer for about 16- 20 minutes.  Just before you remove from heat, add the juice of half the lime, and the chopped cilantro, and fluff.

This step is crucial:  Place a clean towel over top of the pot.  Replace the lid.  Remove from heat.  Let set for Ten minutes. Fluff again, and serve with the Chipotle Chicken.









1 comment: