Monday, March 19, 2012

Lobster and Veggie Omelet

Sunday Brunch



Josh and I love our leisurely Sunday Mornings spent reading the paper, drinking coffee, and making brunch.  We don't make a big to- do about it all the time, though.  Sometimes it's as simple as eggs over- easy, bacon, and toast.  Yet, sometimes we like to get creative.  Like this morning with our Lobster and Veggie Omelet.  I always try to use my imaginination with the ingredients that I have on hand to use up.  I was actually thinking of a phenomenal seafood omelet that I had in Key West a few years ago when I came up with this , and yes, it was that unforgettable!  That one had Sea Scallops, and Shrimp with Mascarpone Cheese.  We had Lobster Tails for dinner last night, so that's what I used.  They were small ones, so I bought an extra one just for my brunch idea.  Also, my herb garden is producing some great thyme, and oregano already, so I really wanted to use them.  I believe the Key West omelet used dill and thyme, but I couldn't be certain, and I don't have dill yet, anyhow.  Honestly, you could use whatever herbs you like!  The end product was delicious, though!  Darn close to my scrumptiously fond memory of the Key West Seafood Omelet!

Lobster and Veggie Omelet:

1/4 c. Red Bell Pepper, slices then halved
1/2 c. Mushrooms, sliced
1 cl. Garlic
1 T. Oregano, fresh, chopped
1 tsp.  Thyme, fresh
1 1/2 c. Spinach, fresh
1 1/2 T.  Lemon Juice, fresh
1 T. Capers
salt and pepper to taste
4 lg. Eggs,beaten;  or Egg Beaters
1 1/2 T.  Cream Cheese
2 T.  T. Feta Cheese



In a medium non- stick skillet saute the bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat until just soft, but not cooked all the way through.

Add the garlic, oregano, and thyme and cook for another minute or so.  Add the Spinach and lemon juice, and stir the combine. 

Cover to wilt the spinach (about a minute).  Toss in the capers and salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer this mixture to a plate.  This looks good enough to eat by it's self!


Wipe out the non- stick skillet.  Add a tablespoon or so of olive oil and heat the pan to medium- low.  Add the beaten eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and cover.  Do not stir. 


Cook, covered for about 2-4 minutes, or until there is just a tiny bit of runny egg left on top.


Now, it's time to layer on the filling ingredients.  Turn the burner to low heat. Lay the vegetables over half of the egg, then toss on the lobster chunks.



Finally dollop on the cream cheese, and sprinkle with feta.  At this point I would have sprinkled on some basil if I had it, but I didn't. 


Now, with a wide rubber, or plastic spatula, very carefully fold the top over the filling.  Replace the lid and leave the burner on low heat until the cheese is melted.  This should only take a couple of minutes.  Voila!



This makes a large omelet, enough for two people.


No comments:

Post a Comment